Wednesday, June 20, 2018

McGill University - Montreal , Quebec , Canada

McGill University is a public university located in Montreal , Quebec , Canada . The school was established in 1821 under the royal charter issued by King Geogre IV . The school is named after James McGill, a Scottish businessman from Montreal, who conquered in 1813 and founded McGill College, the precursor of the school.

Location: Montreal , Quebec , Canada
Website: mcgill .ca

McGill University - Montreal , Quebec , Canada


The main campus of McGill is located in Mount Royal in downtown Montreal with the second campus is located in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue , is also located on the Island of Montreal, from the main campus 30 kilometers (18 miles) West. The University is one of only two members of the Association of North American Universities outside of the United States, and the sole representative of Canada to attend the Global Leadership Forum (GULF). The framework of the World Economic Forum , when only 26 leading universities are participating in the forum.

McGill offers degrees and degrees in more than 300 research areas, with the highest average admissions requirements compared to any other Canadian university. Most of the students enrolled in the largest department, Arts , Science , Pharmacy , Engineering , and Management, respectively .

Among the participants were trained at McGill, has 12 Nobel Laureates and 144 scholarships Rhodes Scholars , both reached the highest number compared to universities in Canada, also There were five people chosen to be astronauts, three Canadian Prime Ministers , the current Governor-General of Canada , 14 judges of the Supreme Court of Canada , four foreign leaders , 28 foreign ambassadors , 9 who won an Oscar , won 11 Grammys , three winners Pulitzer , and 28 medalists at the Olympics , counting different countries. In the history of development, alumni McGill has contributed to the founding or first organized sport of rugby USA , basketball , and ice hockey . McGill University or its alumni have also established a number of major colleges and universities, including British Columbia , Victoria and Alberta Colleges , School of Medicine & Dentistry Schulich , Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Dawson College .

History 


The Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning (RIAL) was established in 1801 under an Act of the Legislative Assembly of the Canadian House of Commons , an Act for the Establishment of Free Schools and the Advancement of Learning at this province .

In 1816 RIAL was authorized to operate two new Royal Grammar Schools, in Quebec City and in Montreal. This was a turning point for public education in Lower Canada as the schools were created by legislation, the District Public Schools Act of 1807, which showed the government's willingness to support the costs of education and even the salary of a schoolmaster. This was an important first step in the creation of nondenominational schools. When James McGill died in 1813 his bequest was administered by the RIAL.

Of the original two Royal Grammar Schools, in 1846 one closed and the other merged with the High School of Montreal . By the mid-19th century the RIAL had lost control of the other eighty-two grammar schools it had administered. However, in 1853 it took over the High School of Montreal from the School Board of Directors and continued to operate until 1870. Thereafter, its sole purpose was to administer the McGill bequest on behalf of the private college. The RIAL continues to exist today; is the corporate identity that runs the university and its various constituent bodies, including the former Macdonald College (now Macdonald Campus), theMontreal Neurological Institute , and the Royal Victoria College (formerly known as college residence). Since the revised Royal Charter of 1852, The Trustees of the RIAL comprise the Board of Governors of McGill University.

McGill College 

James McGill , born in Glasgow , Scotland on 6 October 1744, was a successful merchant in Quebec, having matriculated into the University of Glasgow in 1756.  Between 1811 and 1813, he drew up a will leaving his "Burnside estate ", a 19 hectare (47 acres) tract of rural land and 10,000 pounds to the Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning.

On McGill's death in December 1813, the Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning, established in 1801 as an Act of the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada , added the establishment of a University under the conditions of McGill's will to its original function of elementary education in Lower Canada .

As a condition of the bequest, the land and funds were to be used for the establishment of a "University or College, for the purposes of Education and the Advancement of Learning in the said Province." The will specified a private, constituent college bearing his name would have been established within 10 years of his death; otherwise the bequest would revert to the heirs of his wife.

On March 31, 1821, after protracted legal battles with the Desrivières family, McGill College received a royal charter from King George IV . The Charter provided that the College should be considered and taken as a University , with the power of conferring degrees .

University development 

Campus expansions 

The Arts Building, completed in 1843 and designed by John Ostell , is the oldest building on campus.
Though McGill College received its Royal Charter in 1821, it was inactive until 1829 when the Montreal Medical Institution, which had been founded in 1823, became the college's first academic unit and Canada's first medical school. The Faculty of Medicine granted its first degree, and the Doctorate of Medicine and Surgery, in 1833; this was also the first medical degree to be awarded in Canada.

The Faculty of Medicine remained the only faculty until 1843, when the Faculty of Arts commenced teaching in the newly constructed Arts Building and the East Wing (Dawson Hall). The university also historically has strong links with the Canadian Grenadier Guards , and the military regiment in which James McGill served as Lieutenant-Colonel. This title is marked upon the stone that stands before the Arts building, from where the Guards stepped off annually to commemorate Remembrance Day.

The Faculty of Law was founded in 1848 which is also the oldest of its kind in the nation. 48 years later, the school of architecture at McGill University was founded.

Sir John William Dawson , McGill's principal from 1855 to 1893, is often credited with transforming the school into a modern university. He recruited the aid of Montreal's wealthiest Citizens (eighty percent of Canada's wealth was then controlled by families who lived trong Golden Square Mile area có surrounded the university), many of Whom donated property and Funding needed to construct the campus buildings. Their names adorn many of the campus's prominent buildings.

William Spier designed the addition of the West Wing of the Arts Building for William Molson, 1861. Alexander Francis Dunlop designed major alterations to the East Wing of McGill College (now called the Arts Building, McGill University). Bovey and the Science Dept., 1888. This expansion of the campus continued until 1920. Buildings designed by Andrew Taylor , include the Redpath Museum (1880), the Macdonald Physics Building (1893), the Redpath Library (1893), the Macdonald Chemistry Building (1896), the Macdonald Engineering Building (1907) - known as the Macdonald-Stewart Library Building, and the Strathcona Medical Building (1907) - was renamed the Strathcona Anatomy and Dentistry Building.

In 1900, the university established the MacLennan Traveling Library. McGill University Waltz, composed by Frances C. Robinson, was published in Montréal by WH Scroggie, c. 1904.

In 1885, the university's Board of Governors formally adopted the name of "McGill University". In 1905, the university acquired a second campus when Sir William C. Macdonald , one of the university's major benefactors, endowed a college in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, 32 miles west of Montreal. Macdonald College, now known as the Macdonald Campus , opened to students in 1907, originally offering programs in agriculture, household science, and teaching.

George Allan Ross designed the Pathology Building, 1922-23; the Neurological Institute, 1933; Neurological Institute addition 1938 at McGill University. Jean Julien Perrault (architect) designed the McTavish Street residence for Charles E. Gravel, which is now called David Thompson House (1934).

Women's education

Women's education at McGill began in 1884, when Donald Smith (later Lord Strathcona and Mount Royal ), began funding separate lectures for women, given by the university staff members. The first degrees to women at McGill Granted were conferred in 1888. [40] In 1899, the Royal Victoria College (RVC) opened as a residential college for women at McGill with Hilda D. Oakeley as the head. Until the 1970s, all female undergraduate students, known as "Donaldas," were considered to be members of RVC. [41] Beginning in the autumn of 2010, the new Tower section of Royal Victoria College is a co-eddormitory, whereas the older West Wing remains strictly for women. Both the Tower and the West Wing of the Royal Victoria College form part of the university's residence system.

McGill in the Great War

This photo was taken at McGill University in Montreal in 1915 before the departure of the 2nd University Company for France. The Company reinforced the Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry on the Somme in October 1915

Stained Glass Great War Memorial entrance to the Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art

McGill University played a significant role in the Great War. Many students and alumni enlisted in the first wave of patriotic fervor that swept the nation in 1914, after the first wave of heavy Canadian casualties at Ypres - Hamilton Gault, the founder of the Canadian regiment and a wealthy Montreal businessman, was faced with a desperate shortage of troops. Whenever he reached out to his friends at home for support, over two hundred were commissioned from the ranks, and many would serve as soldiers throughout the war. On their return to Canada after the war, Major George McDonald and Major George Currie formed the accounting firm of McDonald Currie, which later became one of the founders of Price Waterhouse Coopers . Captain Percival Molsonwas killed in action in July 1917. Percival Molson Memorial Stadium at McGill is named in his honor.

The War Memorial Hall (more commonly known as Memorial Hall) is a landmark building on the campus of McGill University. At the dedication ceremony of the Governor General of Canada ( Harold Alexander, 1st Earl Alexander of Tunis ) laid the cornerstone. Dedicated on October 6, 1946, the Memorial Hall and the Adjoining Memorial Pool honors students who had enlisted and died in the First World War , and in the Second World War . In Memorial Hall, there are two Stained Glass Regimental badge World War I and World War II Memorial by Charles William Kelsey c. 1950/1.

A war memorial window (1950) by Charles William Kelsey in the McGill War Memorial Hall depicts the figure of St. George. Michael and the badges of the Navy, Army and the Air Force. A Great War memorial window featuring Saint George and a slain dragon at the entrance to the Blackader-Lauterman Library of Architecture and Art is dedicated to the memory of the 23 members of the McGill Chapter of Delta Upsilon who gave their lives in the Great War. Six other windows (1951) by Charles William Kelsey on the west wall of the memorial hall depict the coats of arms of the regiments in which the McGill alumni were members.

There is a memorial archway at Macdonald College , two additional floors added to the existing Sir Arthur Currie Gymnasium, and a hockey rink and funding for an annual Memorial Assembly. A book of remembrance on a table marble contains the names of those who lost in both World Wars. On 11 November 2012 the McGill Remembers web site launched; the University War Records Office collected documents between 1940-1946 related to McGill students, staff and faculty in the Second World War.

Quotas on Jewish students 

Beginning in the 1920s, and continuing until the 1960s, McGill imposed a controversial quota which stated a maximum of the proportion of newly admitted students who were Jewish. Up until that point Jews were overrepresented in the university, especially in the arts (20% Jewish) and law (40% Jewish). The Jewish population across McGill is at 10%.

McGill was instrumental in founding several major universities and colleges. It established the first post-secondary institutions in British Columbia to provide degree programs to the growing cities of Vancouver and Victoria . It chartered Victoria College in 1903 as an affiliated junior college of McGill, offering first and second-year courses in arts and sciences, until it became the current University of Victoria . British Columbia's first university was incorporated in Vancouver in 1908 as the McGill University College of British Columbia . The private institution granted the degree to McGill until it became the independent University of British Columbia in 1915.

Dawson College began in 1945 as a satellite campus of McGill to absorb the anticipated influx of students after World War II . Many students in their first 3 years in the Faculty of Engineering took courses at Dawson College to relieve the McGill campus for the two years later for their degree course. Dawson eventually became independent of McGill and evolved into the first English CEGEP in Quebec . Another CEGEP, John Abbott College , was established in 1971 at the McGill's Macdonald College campus.

Both founders of the University of Alberta , Prime Minister Alexander Cameron Rutherford of Alberta and Henry Marshall Tory , were also McGill alumni. In addition, McGill alumni and professors, Sir William Osler and Howard Atwood Kelly , were among the four founders and early faculty members of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine . Osler became the first physician-in-chief of the new Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore , Maryland, in 1889. He led the creation of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1893. Other McGill alumni founded theSchulich School of Medicine & Dentistry in the 1880s.

Readmore: Top most famous university in the world

0 comments:

Post a Comment